Turn your Easter morning into a family party with a simple Easter bunny buffet using Dollar Store items, and a few easy DIY Easter party decoration ideas.
Imagine being a kid right now.
School’s cancelled, you can’t visit your friends, there’s not even the annual Easter egg hunt to look forward to.
But just because church is closed on Easter Sunday, doesn’t mean that you can’t celebrate.
Instead of filling your kids baskets for them, why not turn the whole morning into a family party and set out an Easter bunny buffet where they get to fill their own baskets?
Seriously, you’ll look like the genius that you are: Buy the same amount of candy and basket fillers that you normally would, but just display it like a party.
Easter Party Decorations on the Go
This party was originally created several years ago for my oldest and her two older cousins – and was transported from Maryland to central Virginia for set up. 😲
Yep, even the DIY backdrop frame was broken down and carted across state lines.
But the fact that it’s a party for 3 kids is what makes it the perfect inspiration for an Easter morning bunny buffet.
Using a few simple tricks, you’ll see how to make your buffet look full – even when there aren’t a lot of items to put out.
Gauzy Fabric and Flower Backdrop
This party backdrop couldn’t be easier. The base of the backdrop is a long piece of gauzy aqua blue fabric taped to the top of an easy DIY party backdrop frame.
The best part of these DIY Easter party decorations is that they repurposed old craft projects too!
The paper flowers were originally crafted for my oldest’s first birthday party. It just took a couple cans of spray paint and a few nice days outside, and voila! You’ve got completely new decorations.
Confession: I think they actually look better after being spray painted.
Somebunny was Here Paper Banner
This adorable “Somebunny Was Here” banner was originally made using a first-generation Silhouette machine.
Sadly, I lost all the information about the design that was used. ☹️
However, if you like that banner, let me know and I’ll make a similar design and show you how to make one with a Cricut (which is my new machine that I just adore!)
Easter Bunny Approved!
Get your Easter hopping along with a sweet selection of printable goodies – including printable games, tags and bag toppers, party decorations, and art prints all designed to to make this Easter more colorful than ever. Check it all out right here.
Faux Faberge Easter Eggs
These faberge-style plastic eggs are probably the star of the buffet table. Aren’t those details simply adorable? They were purchased through Etsy, but unfortunately the original vendor no longer has a shop. ☹️
That said, you could also turn this into a craftivity with your kids. Gather ribbon and small decorations from your craft stash, and let the kids decorate their own Faberge-style eggs.
Dollar Store Goodies
Dollar Tree is often a hostesses’ best friend (except when it’s not). Take a look at how you can use cheap items to fill out the display:
- Turn fuzzy bunny ear headbands into a display feature (similar)
- The kids each got a mini felt Easter basket to collect their goodies (similar)
- Stuffed animals add color and fill in empty space, and
- Mini pails hold up the headbands and Peeps lollipops. (similar)
Note: With all the closures, Dollar Tree isn’t currently offering online ordering. Clicking on ‘similar’ above will take you to Amazon links that should be able to be delivered.
Easter Party Decoration Ideas that Make a Big Difference
Can you see the catering and decor tricks that were used to make a massive impact on the final look of the display?
Here’s a quick run-down:
- White cake stands are used to add height to the items at the center back of the table,
- Inexpensive (i.e. Target Dollar Spot) letter trays were spray painted to match the theme. Then they’re turned upside down to add height to other items on the back of the table and fill in extra space on the tabletop.
- Fitted table linens give a more streamlined, modern look, and
- Loads of jelly beans scattered on the cake stands and in the pails add pops of color for very little $$
Easter Party Food
All the decorations in the world won’t help a dessert bar if it doesn’t have the treats to go along with it! Here’s what we served:
- Mason Jars Filled with Candy Coated Popcorn – Just add a crepe paper rosette and a lid painted to match the theme.
- Beautifully decorated sugar cookies – (find similar cookies here)
- Peeps Marshmallows, decorated with a jelly bean ribbon
- Chocolate bunnies – wrapped in coordinating cardstock and lined up in front.
More Easter Ideas
- 50+ Totally Awesome (and Free) Easter Printables
- How to Make Easter Egg Mason Jars
- Free Printable Easter Banner
- 13 Adorable Easter Crafts for Kids
Now It’s Your Turn
With everything going on, small things like turning Easter morning into a family party can help your kids feel like life is still somewhat normal.
And it doesn’t have to break the bank, either. Use these Easter party decoration ideas to make it easy for yourself:
- Set up an easy DIY backdrop frame with a curtain, bedsheet, or fabric
- Turn props like bunny ear headbands into a centerpiece
- Stack cake stands to add height to your table
- Turn Easter basket fillers into a table display
- Spray paint old party decorations to match Easter colors
- Add a simple paper banner to the front of your table
- Use jelly beans to fill in empty space and add color
- Use mini pails to display items vertically
- Stuffed animals are adorable filler items
- Make faberge-inspired eggs with your kids and display them on your table
How are you making Easter special for your kids this year?
What’s the hardest part of the shutdown for you?
jackie fo says
How did you those pretty yellow flowers on the mason jar?? I LOVE!
JC's Loft says
LOVE it! That wreath is adorable : )
Morgan @ PepperDesignBlog.com says
Those yellow flowers on the jars are amazing! Love the table :).
Amazing! Wow–you went all out.
Krafty Kat says
Beautiful! I love those flowers on the jars and the big ones hanging up! Stunning! Thanks for linking!
cuteness and fun overload! thanks for sharing at the best of the blogosphere link up
That party was a blast. Thanks for stopping by!
HEATHER PERINE says
Sharing this with my sister so she can do this for her kiddos! Easter sure will look different, but this is such as sweet idea!
Brittany Limberakis says
How fun! These are adorable! My little sister is so excited about the Easter bunny this year so we are definitely going to try to make it special!
Monica Simpson says
I feel like my kids would love it if I went all out like this. They would be so suprised and appreciate it. I think making things extra special when we’re stuck at home really helps takes the stress out of being in a pandemic.
I love everything about this!!! Egg-stremely adorable 😉
Angela Campos says
These are all adorable ideas!! I bet my kids will love this too for an Easter Celebration!
This is such a cute idea! Holidays have definitely been strange with the pandemic. I love how the Dollar Tree can really help out with supplies!! #happynow