How accurate are gender prediction myths anyway? I’m taking a look today at 21 common myths to guess whether baby #3 is going to be another girl or our first boy!
RELATED >>>> Stunning Gender Neutral Baby Showers and Gender Reveals
I should have gotten the Verifi blood test done.
At least, that’s what I’ve started wondering these days. For some reason, I thought that the Husband and I knew the gender of our first two babies by the 18-week point.
Sunday, I officially turned 18 weeks pregnant. And I just found out that the hospital won’t schedule my next ultrasound until May 11th! That means I’ll be 22 weeks along before we find out if we’re having a boy or a girl.
There’s a reason my parents always tried to tell me to learn more patience. *sigh*
On another note, it’s actually really hard to believe that I’m almost halfway through this pregnancy. Time truly is flying by.
The Husband and I have been trying to spend more free time with our two girls because we know things are just going to get crazy in a few short months. Then again, sometimes I have to stop and remember that this is actually happening.
We’re going to be outnumbered by our kids. That should teach me some patience, shouldn’t it?
Since I have to wait for nearly four more weeks, I thought it would be fun to take a few of the online gender prediction tests. If I can’t get results right now from an ultrasound, and since it’s too late to take the Verifi test, I might as well test the waters of the unscientific and unreliable, right?
UPDATE >>>> Click here to see what the ultrasound revealed!
21 Gender Prediction Myths Tested
1. How are you carrying?
High = Boy/Girl Low = Boy/Girl.
My Response: Ummm…chubby? Lopsided? I don’t get those cute little baby bumps like some women. But when I’m lying down it’s obvious that baby’s completely on the right side.
Score: Girl 0, Boy 0, Who knows: 1
2. Baby’s Heart Rate
140 bpm or less = boy. Higher = girl.
My Response: This little one’s heart rate seems to be the lowest of any of the kids yet, hovering around 144 for the last couple measurements. (Though I do love the silly home heartbeat monitors. They always make me wonder just how fast the heart is beating)
Score: Girl 1, Boy 0, Who knows: 1
3. How is your skin?
Clearer = boy, Worse = girl
My Response: My skin is clearer than it’s been in years. I’m loving it!
Score: Girl 1, Boy 1, Who knows: 1
Yes = girl. No = boy.
My Response: Y’all know I’ve had morning sickness with this pregnancy. It’s probably a little better than it was with L, but I hardly had any with T, so who knows. And it’s still sticking around. Yuck. Thank goodness for Preggie Pops, ginger ale, and saltines.
Score: Girl, 2, Boy 1, Who knows 1
Sweet = girl, Sour = boy.
My Response: Umm, neither. Sadly, I’ve been craving lots of flavorful ethnic foods, and liquor. No matter what I crave, it always seems to make me sick. (Boo!) In the end, my mood switches back and forth between craving salty and sweet.
Score: Girl 2, Boy 1, Who knows 2
6. Leg Hair
More hair = boy. Less hair = girl
My Response: I’ve definitely noticed a slowdown in the growth of my leg hair. Which.is.awesome. I can finally skip a day of shaving every now and then!
Score: Girl 3, Boy 1, Who knows 2
RELATED >>>> 17 Slow Cooker Recipes Perfect for Busy Weeknights
7. Husband’s Family History
More brothers = boy More girls = girl.
My Response: The Husband has no sisters and one brother. With two girls already, I think I’ve lost any trust in this myth. But we’ll count it just for fun.
Score: Girl 3, Boy 2, Who knows 2
8. Belly shape
Front = boy Hips/Butt/Thighs = girl.
My Response: What’s a naturally pear-shaped girl supposed to say? I’ll calling this one a “front” carry, but just barely. I often feel like I look chubby from the side, but pregnant from the front. How would you score this one?
Score: Girl 3, Boy 3, Who knows: 2
9. How cold do your feet feel?
Colder = boy Warmer = girl.
My Response: My feet are always cold. Though I find they’re not cold as often lately, only because I don’t need my space heater at work as much. But then again…it is spring. Hmm. Calling this a ‘who knows’.
Score: Girl: 3, Boy 3, Who knows: 3
10. More about cravings
Fruit = girl Meat/Cheese = boy.
My Response: I definitely want meat more often than fruit. But again, I was that same way with L.
Score: Girl 3, Boy 4, Who knows: 3
11. Dad gaining weight
Yes = Boy No = Girl.
My Response: The Husband definitely hasn’t been gaining weight during my pregnancy. Of course, he’s training for a half marathon, too. Though this year he’s not losing weight nearly as quickly as he did when he trained for the 10k last year.
Score: Girl 4, Boy 4, Who knows 3
12. The size of your nose.
Bigger = Boy Smaller/No Change = Girl.
My Response: Where does this stuff come from? Will an increase in hormones cause spontaneous development of new cartilage? WTH? No change in nose size, duh.
Score: Girl 5, Boy 4, Who knows 3
13. Chest size. (hubba, hubba)
Bigger = Boys. No change/Smaller = Girl.
My Response: Dear Lord, my chest. Well, let’s just say that I had to pull out my old nursing bras almost immediately. The Husband is thrilled.
Score: Girl 5, Boy 5, Who knows 3
14. Urine color.
Bright = Boy Dull = Girl.
My Response: Eeeewww. Do I really have to answer this? Nausea is more likely the culprit since I can’t stomach plain water, but I suppose you could call it bright.
Score: Girl 5, Boy 6, Who knows 3
15. Timing of intercourse.
Before ovulation = Girl, Day of/after ovulation = Boy
My Response: After tracking my cycles most of the previous 8 years, we actually don’t really know when I ovulated. (oops!) Our best guess is that it was either the day of or up to two days before that egg broke free.
Score: Girl 6, Boy 6, Who knows 3
RELATED >>>> 5 Tips for Hosting a Reverse Baby Shower
16. Dry skin
Yes = Boy, No = Girl
My Response: This I can definitely call. Even though it’s spring, the skin on my hands is cracked from dryness. Thank goodness for Cetaphil cream. That stuff is the BEST
Score: Girl 6, Boy 7, Who knows 3
17. Eat the heel of a loaf of bread
Yes = Boy No = Girl
My Response: Not my first choice, but I will if I’m hungry enough.
Score: Girl 7, Boy 7, Who knows 3
18. Age at conception + Month at conception =
Even Number = Boy, Odd Number = Girl
My Response: Definitely even. Score 1 for the boys!
Score: Girl 7, Boy 8, Who Knows 3
Full/Shiny = Boy Thin/Stringy = Girl
My Response: My hair has always been super thin and stringy. I haven’t noticed any change in the texture other than fewer strands coming out. But there’s no way I’d call it full and shiny.
Score: Girl 7, Boy 8, Who Knows 4
20. Nail growth.
Faster/Stronger = Boy, Same/Less Strong = Girl
My Response: Definitely stronger. Thank you prenatal vitamins.
Score: Girl 7, Boy, 9, Who knows 4
21. Bigger tush
Yes = Boy No = Girl
My Response: Umm. I don’t think it’s bigger. But it wasn’t small to begin with, so who knows?
Here are what a few of the different gender prediction websites said:
Babymed: 53.3% chance girl, 46.7% chance boy.
Babble: Don’t know.
And my favorite from Just Mommies (I crack up every time I see that percentage!)
Were gender prediction myths accurate for you?
What do you think based on these questions?
Click here to see what the ultrasound revealed!
Did you enjoy this post? Don’t forget to share it on Pinterest!
Don’t forget to subscribe via Bloglovin, Facebook, and Twitter to stay up-to-date.
[…] Pregnancy Update and Gender Prediction Quizzes – From Play Dates to Parties says: March 17, 2016 at 12:53 pm […]