All the kids are going to love you this year when you whip up a batch of chocolate coated Monster Munch Halloween popcorn mix.
Better yet, download the free printable Monster bag toppers and make a quick and easy party favor or classroom treat.
“I’m watching you Wazowski, Always watching”Roz, Monster’s Inc.
Can you believe that summer is coming to an end? The kids are already discussing Halloween costumes here. Of course, that assumes we will have a Halloween.
But it really makes me nostalgic for the days when Monsters Inc was my oldest’s favorite thing to watch. Don’t get me wrong, I like that our kids have a broader interest in movies, but even Harry Potter gets old after a while.
At least I know my kids aren’t too old to enjoy a fun popcorn mix.
All three of our kids love popcorn. And I love how easy it is to adapt. Missing a recipe ingredient? No biggie. Just find something else to mix in.
We love to make popcorn mixes for family movie night…and we pretty much always mix in a few extra special treats.
Over the years, we’ve ended up with fun treats like Mermaid Munch popcorn mix, Easter popcorn munch, and Patriotic July 4th Snack Mix.
Halloween Popcorn Mix (Monster Munch)
Clearly it was time to make a version just for Halloween!
Inspired by years of watching Monsters Inc., this chocolate coated popcorn is filled with googly-eye candy and sour gummy worms.
It’s simple, tasty, and so much fun!
Monster Treat Bag Toppers
I even made a cute monster bag topper to go along with it. Now you can make easy (and affordable) treats for all the school friends.
Just add your name and email address to the box below and I’ll send it right to you. (Don’t want to sign up for the newsletter? The files are also available for a small price in my shop. 😊)
What Candy Goes Best with Popcorn?
We believe you can put pretty much any candy with your popcorn. That said, here are some of our favorites:
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Gummy worms
- Jelly Beans
- Candy Corn
Truthfully, you can get so creative with this. Add in some nuts and candy corn to make it even more festive, or use what you have on hand. There’s no right or wrong.
How long does it take?
- Measuring out the food: 5 minutes
- Melting the chocolate: 3 minutes (includes stirring time)
- Mixing in the popcorn: 5 minutes
- Fridge time: 30 minutes
- Adding gummy worms & breaking apart popcorn munch: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 48 minutes
What do Kids think of Monster Munch?
My kids couldn’t keep their hands off of it!
I felt like Roz from Monster’s Inc, constantly threatening that I would be watching how much was left. ☺️
So, I might not make it again to keep around the house, but would absolutely recommend this mix as Halloween party favors, or gifts to school classmates.
More Halloween Treats to Love:
- Alien Marshmallow Pops
- Pumpkin Pie Truffles with Cream Cheese
- 13 Easy Halloween Party Foods for Kids
- 10 Spooky Halloween Mocktails for the Whole Family
Monster Munch Halloween Popcorn Mix
All the kids are going to love you this year when you whip up a batch of chocolate coated Monster Munch Halloween popcorn mix. Better yet, add it to a treat sack with the printable bag toppers and it makes the perfect classroom gift.
- 3/4 c semi sweet chocolate chips
- 7 C white cheddar popcorn
- 1 package google eye candy
- 1 package sour gummy worms
- 1/4 cup candy sprinkles in Halloween colors
- Place chocolate chips in a large microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave the chips on high for 10 second intervals, stirring with a fork between intervals.
- When chocolate is completely melted and smooth, gently stir in popcorn, mixing until the popcorn is evenly covered.
- Sprinkle google eye candy on the popcorn and place in refrigerator to firm up, about 30 minutes.
- When chocolate is firm, remove popcorn from refrigerator and add the sprinkles and sour gummy worms.
Popcorn mix is best served immediately.
- Be careful not to overheat the chocolate chips. Typically, you can stop microwaving the chips when the lumps are very small.
- If your chocolate starts to seize, you may be able to add a bit of heavy cream or oil to get it back to a smooth consistency. However, this may affect the final popcorn mix
- Feel free to add more tasty mix ins like M&Ms, marshmallows, or candy corn
Do Your Kids love popcorn mix?
Whats your favorite Halloween treat to make?
Angie Rose says
Hi Leslie! This Halloween Monster Munch looks fabulous! Thank you so much for linking up with us at Dishing It & Digging It. Have a fabulous week 🙂
Thanks so much for stopping by Angie! My girls were asking for more of the popcorn mix for weeks after it was gone, so it was definitely a hit. Thanks so much for hosting a fun link party!
Looks cute and yummy!! 🙂
I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/
Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!
Stopping by from Tuesday Talk! My kids would love this mix. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Emily Stafford says
Such a cute idea! Love!
Super cute idea!! Come join us at Reader Tip Tuesday to share: https://www.jodiefitz.com/2017/09/05/reader-tip-tuesday-weeks-craft-recipe-party-2/
We’re open and growing all week.
Thanks for stopping by Jodie! I’ll definitely check it out!
This wouldn’t last long in my household. They would love this anytime. Found you at Bloggers Pit Stop
Hahaha! I had to enforce reasonable portions on my kids. And they’re still asking for more. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond says
This is so easy to make and will definitely be fun for the kids. Thanks for sharing with us at #BloggersPitStop and have a great week!
Thanks so much for hosting and for stopping by!
Ooh this is such a cute idea. I could really see my nieces and nephew loving it. I like the little eyes; nice touch! 🙂
Oh, what a fun treat! The eyeballs are so cute! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Hope to see ya next week!
Life Diet Health says
Cheddar popcorn? I don’t think we have that over here but I can see that this would be a fun and tasty idea for Halloween. Thanks for bringing it over to Fiesta Friday!
Jann Olson says
The monster munch looks so fun. Kids would love it!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
Miz Helen says
Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday, your post is awesome. Hope you are having a great week and come back to see us soon!
Lovely share! Thanks for bringing this to Fiesta Friday!