Planning and preparing for a birthday party when you’re 8 months pregnant is exhausting.
By the time T’s sixth birthday rolled around, all I wanted to do was take a nap. I tried to take walks to keep in shape, but could barely go more than a few blocks without needing to stop. The summer heat didn’t help either.
And as much as T understood that the pregnancy took a lot out of me, she still wanted her day to be special. Who could blame her? For kids, birthdays are one of the most important days of the year.
So how do you make a special treat for a crowd of kids without breaking your back (or the bank)? The answer lies in popcorn. And sprinkles. And chocolate. I don’t think I’ve ever met a kid that didn’t like any of those three things. Put them all together and you’ve got an instant hit.
We’re always experimenting with different popcorn munch recipes around our house. It only takes about 10 minutes to pull together a large batch, and it’s easy to customize for any theme or occasion. We like making these mixtures so much that my girls ask for ‘special popcorn’ with almost every movie night.
Usually, I just pull together some popcorn with whatever treat I can find in the house. That could be miniature marshmallows, M&Ms, or even cookie crumbles (like the cookies & cream version I made for my friend Tamara). But I wanted to make sure the version for the Mermaid party was extra special.
Mermaid Munch for a Crowd
- 2 large bags of pre-popped popcorn
- 1 bag of pink “princess” Goldfish crackers
- Blue candy melts
- Pink, Blue, and purple shimmering sprinkles
- Pearl sprinkles
- Line two sheet pans with parchment paper and spread popcorn on top.
- Add the Goldfish crackers and mix well.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the blue candy melts. Microwave the candy melts for 30 seconds to start, then stir with a fork. Repeat at 10-second intervals until the candy melts are melted and smooth.
- Using a back-and-forth motion, drizzle the candy melts over the popcorn mixture with a fork. Alternatively, flick the fork across the candy melts to get thinner drizzles.
- Before the candy melts harden, add the shimmering sprinkles and pearls.
- Allow the candy melts to harden completely and then break apart into chunks.
- Store mermaid munch in airtight containers for up to 3 days.
This was the perfect treat for an away-from-home birthday party. We brought it in gallon-sized ziplock bags and filled paper popcorn boxes on-site. Better yet, it was easy on my very pregnant self. Score!
What’s your favorite easy treat for a crowd?
What would you put in mermaid munch?