Pumpkin Pie Bars with a Nutella Swirl: Creamy pumpkin pie filling where each bite bursts with warm, autumn flavors and a kiss of rich chocolatey Nutella. Sounds heavenly, right?
Well, tighten those apron strings and get ready, because we’re turning this dreamy dessert into your reality! Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a newbie who’s just starting to dip your toes into the dough, we’ve got you covered. Whether it’s for halloween, Thanksgiving, or just because, these chocolatey pumpkin pie bars are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and impress your taste buds.
What Makes these So Great
- Taste: Warm, comforting pumpkin spice flavors perfectly complimented by rich, chocolatey Nutella
- Texture: A smooth and creamy pumpkin filling with a swirl of gooey Nutella, all on a flakey pie crust. Need we say more?
- Ease: No fuss, no complicated techniques. The simple sheet pan method and step-by-step instructions make this recipe a breeze for anyone to master.
- Versatility: Whether it’s for a holiday party or a cozy night in, these pumpkin Nutella bars are perfect for any occasion.
What You’ll Need:
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground allspice
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- Pumpkin Puree
- Pie crust
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Half sheet jelly roll pan
- Rolling pin
- Paring knife
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- Microwave safe bowl
- Kitchen knife or toothpicks
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Bars with Nutella
To make things even easier for you, I created a simple step by step guide below. For all measurements and a more detailed guide, check out the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Prepare the Crust
Step 1 – Gently roll out your pie crust so it is as close in size to the jelly roll pan as possible without being too thin. Carefully put it into the jellyroll pan and press it down so it covers as much of the pan as possible.
Step 2 – Using a small knife, carefully cut the excess pie crust off, so the crust only covers the bottom of the pan. If necessary, use the excess from the sides to seam together a pie crust big enough for the entire pan. Set aside.
Step 3 – In a small bowl, combine nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves in a small bowl or ramekin. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of the spice mixture onto your pie crust.
Step 4 – Bake the crust in at 425˚F for 5-7 minutes. Allow pie crust to cool slightly before moving on to the next step.
Make the Filling
Step 5 – In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and remaining spice mixture until smooth. Pour on top of cooled pie crust.
Step 6 – Place a heaping 3/4 cup Nutella into a microwave safe bowl. Gently warm the Nutella in the microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. You want the Nutella to flow nicely, but it doesn’t have to be completely melted.
Step 7 – Drop small spoonfuls of Nutella all over the pan of pumpkin pie. Carefully swirl with a knife or toothpick
Bake the Bars
Step 8 – Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 20 minutes.
Step 9 – At that point, turn oven off and allow the pie to continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes as the oven cools.
Step 10 – Remove the pan from the oven and allow the pumpkin pie bars to cool completely before cutting into 1-inch squares.
Don’t skip these tips – read them before starting to avoid any potential mistakes.
- I use a store bought pie crust to keep things easy, but you can also use your favorite homemade crust if you prefer.
- Roll the pie crust as close as possible to the size of your pan, but not so thin you can see through it.
- Don’t worry too much if the crust cracks a bit at the edges as you place it in the pan. By the time you trim the crust and add the extras to the corner, it will all work itself out.
- Because we’re making bars and not a slab pie, you don’t need to worry about having the pie crust go up the edges of the pan.
- Be careful not to heat up the Nutella for too long, you don’t want it to scorch.
Fun Adaptations To Try
- Instead of pumpkin, try a sweet potato pie filling for a twist on the traditional.
- Swap out the Nutella for a different creamy spread like peanut butter or cookie butter. The possibilities are endless!
- If you want more chocolatey goodness: After the bars are set, but are still warm, spread a thin layer of warm Nutella on top as a frosting. Allow to cool completely before cutting
- Add a splash of bourbon to the pumpkin pie filling for a rich and indulgent flavor.
- Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream or an extra decadent treat.
Party Sharing Tips!
Let’s spice up the party with some awesome sharing tips! Get ready to dazzle and impress your friends with these fun and friendly ideas!
- Platter Presentation: Showcase the bars on a platter of their own, nestle them among other festive treats on a large party platter, or use pumpkin shaped cookie cutters for a surprising but fun shape.
- Garnish: Sprinkle the platter with a dusting of powdered sugar for a festive, snow-kissed effect. Or consider adding a single candied pecan or slice of candied ginger to the top of each bar for an extra special touch.
- Serving Options: Offer a variety of toppings on the side. Whipped cream, a warm Nutella drizzle, and a sprinkle of cinnamon can give guests the opportunity to customize their bars and make them look even more irresistible.
- Labeling: Don’t forget to label your dish, especially if you’ve made any substitutions or additions. A small, printable table tent naming the dish can go a long way.
- Pairings: These pumpkin Nutella bars go excellently with a warm spiced cider or a rich hot chocolate. Offer these complementary beverages close to the dessert platter to round out the taste experience.
Frequently Asked Questions:
No need to grease the pan, just make sure your crust is pressed down firmly. If you’re concerned about sticking, you can also line the pan with parchment paper.
Absolutely! Just substitute 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice for the mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
Unfortunately, freezing these bars is not recommended as it may affect the overall texture and taste of the dessert. It’s best to enjoy them fresh.
How to Store your Pumpkin Pie Bars
If you have leftovers (which is rare!), store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Let them come to room temperature before eating for best taste and texture. Enjoy!
More Pumpkin Recipes to Love:
If you liked my Pumpkin Pie Bars with a Nutella Swirl you’re going to love my these other delicious pumpkin treats
- Easy No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles with a Kick
- Pumpkin Pie Truffles with Cream Cheese
- Pumpkin Bars with a Gingersnap Crust
- Easy Peasy mini pumpkin pies with leaf crusts
Or you can check out my other pumpkin spice recipes right here.
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 15- oz can pumpkin
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 14- oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 heaping quarter cup of nutella
Prepare the Crust
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- While the oven is preheating, gently roll the pie crust so it can mostly fit jelly roll pan. Carefully put it into the pan and press it down so it covers the entire bottom of the pan.
- Using a small knife, carefully cut the excess pie crust off, so the crust only covers the bottom of the pan. (Note: You may need to use the excess from the sides to seam together a pie crust big enough for the entire pan)
- Combine nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves in a small bowl or ramekin. Sprinkle a small portion of the spice mixture onto your pie crust.
- Bake the crust in the preheating oven for 5-7 minutes. Allow pie crust to cool slightly before moving on to the next step.
Make the Filling
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and remaining spice mixture until smooth. Pour on top of cooled pie crust.
- Place a heaping 3/4 cup Nutella into a microwave safe bowl. Gently warm the Nutella in the microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. You want the Nutella to flow nicely, but it doesn't have to be completely melted.
- Drop small spoonfuls of Nutella all over the pan of pumpkin pie. Carefully swirl with a knife or toothpick
Baking the Bars
- Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 20 minutes.
- At that point, turn oven off and allow the pie to continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes as the oven cools.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the pumpkin pie bars to cool completely before cutting into 1-inch squares.
Tips and Adaptations:
- If serving at a party, garnish pumpkin pie bars with a candied pecan or slice of candied ginger.
- Don't forget to have toothpicks nearby so guests can skewer them for easy snacking.
- If you want more chocolatey goodness: After the bars are set, but are still warm, spread a thin layer of warm Nutella on top as a frosting. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Try these with sweet potato pie filling for a change of pace!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This post was originally published on September 6, 2018. It has been updated with step-by-step photos, FAQs, and tips.