Apple butter is simple to make and even easier to enjoy. With no chopping required, this easy recipe for crock pot apple butter will be filling your home with the scent of autumn spices in just a few minutes.
Whether you enjoy it thick or silky smooth, this apple butter recipe will be an amazing addition to your fall entertaining.
There are many apple butter recipes out there…and it’s no wonder. This fruit spread (which doesn’t include any actual butter – despite the name), is intensely flavorful and delicious.
But what makes this particular recipe so special?
- Instead of spending an hour chopping and peeling apples, we use unsweetened applesauce to get the recipe started,
- It’s easily adaptable. If you want less sugar, feel free to start with half, or even a quarter of the sugar in the recipe. Then do a taste test halfway through cooking, and adjust accordingly.
- No blender required. This easy crock pot apple butter recipe is fairly smooth right from the start. But more on that later…
Overall, it’s pretty safe to say that I’m in love with this recipe and I can’t wait for you to try a spoonful – there are few things better than homemade goodness!
A Few Notes about the Ingredients/supplies:
Using pre made applesauce means you’ll have far less prep work, making this the perfect recipe for busy families. But if you want to make it completely from scratch, you can make this crock pot applesauce recipe a day or so in advance. (Just remember to eliminate the sugar)
We used light brown sugar in all of our tests, but dark brown sugar should work fine too.
This is a large batch recipe, so you’ll need a 6-quart crock pot or larger. (If your slow cooker is even bigger, this may require less cooking time, so keep an eye on it)
To make things easy, I’ve got a simple step-by-step guide to make the process as simple as possible.
For all measurements and a more detailed guide, check out the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Step 1 – Combine applesauce, sugars, and spices in a 6-quart crock pot.
Step 2 – Stir well to combine.
Step 3 – Cook on high uncovered for 6 to 7 hours, stirring occasionally.
Step 4 – Cool and pour into jars or other sealed containers.
If you liked this easy crock pot apple butter, you’re going to love my homemade applesauce recipe in the crock pot, and these other fun apple recipes. They’re both fun recipes that the whole family will love.
Or you can check out my other appetizer recipes right here.
- 8 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoons of ground cloves
- Combine applesauce, sugars, and spices in a 6-quart crock pot.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cook on high uncovered for 6 to 7 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and pour into jars or other sealed containers.
Don't forget, the step-by-step photos in the recipe post are there to help you see what the apple butter should look like as it cooks.
- You can use either light or dark brown sugar for this recipe.
- Crock pot liners make cleanup a breeze.
- To make the apple butter extra smooth, puree in the crock pot with an immersion blender, or place the cooled apple butter in a blender and puree until it reaches your desired texture.
- Apple butter will last up to a month when sealed in containers and refrigerated, and up to 6 months when frozen.
- In a pinch, 2.5 tablespoons of apple pie spice can be substituted for the spice blend above.