Mmmmm. This warm, cheesy stuffed French bread with sausage and Canadian bacon is so good. You’ll be hooked from the moment you smell it warming in the oven!
As the bread bakes, the delicious scent of garlic and onion fills the air. When you unwrap the loaf, your eyes will take in the gigantic sub sandwich and all its decadent layers. The delightfully crunchy outer shell is nice and warm in your hands as you take your first decadent bite.
Mmmm…just thinking about it makes me want to make this stuffed French bread with bacon and sausage again!
And I as much as I wish I could tell you that the sandwich was easy to eat, or healthy, or anything other than ridiculously tasty. But the truth is, this stuffed French bread recipe is an ooey gooey mess – in all the best ways.
As you chow down, grabbing at the stringy cheese and sausage slices, the flavors of sausage, Canadian bacon, herbs, and tangy cream cheese spread delight to your taste buds.
This is the perfect recipe for watching a game…whether it’s for March madness, the super bowl, or even just a summer swim meet!
It takes only a few minutes to pull together and bake, and can even be assembled well in advance and frozen. Just be sure to have plenty of forks and napkins on hand because you’re going to need them.
Stuffed French Bread with Sausage and Canadian Bacon
- 1 Loaf French bread
- 1 Stick Unsalted butter Softened
- 4 Ounces Cream cheese Softened
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 Medium onion Minced
- 1/2 Tbsp Dried Italian seasoning
- 2 Tsp Poppy seeds
- 5 links Precooked chicken sausage Recommend: sun dried tomato or basil pesto flavors
- 8 Ounces Cooked Canadian bacon Pre-sliced
- 9 Slices Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Slice the french bread loaf in half lengthwise.
- Cover a baking sheet with a sheet of aluminum foil long enough to wrap over and around your loaf of bread. Place the French bread on the aluminum foil and gently open without breaking the hinge. Set aside.
- With a stand mixer on low, cream together the butter, cream cheese, onion, italian seasoning, garlic powder, and poppy seeds.
- Spread the butter and cream cheese mixture evenly on the inside of both halves of the french bread.
- Layer the sliced sausage, Canadian bacon and swiss cheese slices on the bottom half of the bread.
- Fold the top of the bread loaf over the cheese and bacon mixture and wrap tightly with foil.
- Bake the bread in the foil for 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Unwrap and slice into 2-inch slices.
Make Ahead Tip:
Before baking, wrap the prepared loaf in plastic and foil. Freeze for up to three months. Defrost completely before heating in the oven.
Make an Italian twist with sun dried tomato sausage, basil pesto, and mozzarella cheese! Or make it spicy with andouille sausage, cajun seasoning, and cheddar cheese slices. Yum!
Make Ahead Tip:
Before baking, wrap the prepared loaf in plastic and foil. (I like to use Press n Seal for freezer meals.) Freeze for up to three months. Defrost completely before heating in the oven.
- Make an Italian twist with sun dried tomato sausage, basil pesto, and mozzarella cheese!
- Or make it spicy with andouille sausage, cajun seasoning, and cheddar cheese slices. Yum!
Now, It’s Your Turn
Go grab your favorite french loaf, some sausage, cream cheese, and LOTS of napkins. Once you taste this stuffed french bread all five of your senses will be hooked.
What’s your favorite messy recipe?
Do you make sandwiches for game day too?