Love lemon? Take a look at this easy recipe for lemon clove cookies that can be made three different ways to suit anybody’s preference.
I have to admit that many of the cookies I’ve shared this month are a bit time consuming.
But since Christmas is just barely over a week away, I know that most of us don’t have a few hours to make one or two batches of cookies…which is why today and tomorrow’s posts are entirely about being easy.
But easy doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice taste.
The original recipe for these lemon clove cookies comes from Allrecipes, and a few of the reviewers mentioned that the cookie had a bit of an artificial or “Fruit Loop” flavor. I tried to reduce that by adding fresh lemon zest and a small squeeze of lemon juice. If you like a fairly light lemon flavor, then try the original version, rolled in powdered sugar
I, however, love the lemon flavor in my baked goods to be strong and tart. Am I alone there?
So I decided to create a couple different versions of the original to get up the ante. My first attempt was with lemon thumbprint cookies. Instead of rolling the dough in powdered sugar, I made thumbprint in the center of the cookie and put a small (we’re talking 1/4 tsp) amount of lemon curd in the center.
The Husband was a big fan of those.
But I wanted even more lemon flavor.
The lemon curd just wasn’t quite enough for me and I moved on to creating a sweet, but tart icing. The base is the same icing as I used in the sugar cookies: powdered sugar, a tiny bit of milk and corn syrup, lemon extract and even more lemon zest. Turns out that hit the spot.
If you like citrus, give these lemon clove cookies a try…at least you know they won’t take a whole lot of your time!
Lemon cookies are awesome anytime with this one easy #recipe and THREE different versions! 😋Click To Tweet
- 1/3 C melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- zest of one lemon
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, melted butter, lemon extract, lemon zest, lemon juice and cloves until well combined. Dough will be sticky.
- Use a cookie scoop to create evenly sized cookie “balls”, but don’t “roll” the cookies.
- Bake according to your method of choice:
- Roll dough balls in a bowl of powdered sugar before baking. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes until just slightly browned. Do not overbake.
- Create a well in the cookie with your thumb, being careful not to make it too close to the edges. Drop 1/4 tsp lemon curd in center and bake as directed. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes until just slightly browned. Do not overbake. After baking, sprinkle with a little bit of coarse sugar.
- Bake for 6 to 9 minutes until just slightly browned. Do not overbake. Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tsp milk, 1 tsp corn syrup, 1 tsp lemon extract, and a squeeze of lemon juice in a bowl until combined. Use the back of a spoon to place on cooked and cooled cookies. Garnish with extra lemon zest.
Which of these three lemon clove cookies do you want to try most?