No one will believe you when you tell them how easy it is to make these delicious red velvet pistachio ice cream bread bars!
Have you ever had ice cream bread? Have you even heard of ice cream bread? I hadn’t either until browsing Yummly over the summer.
Intrigued, I saved it to my recipe box and moved on.
The recipe stayed there for months and completely slipped my mind…until testing recipes for the 12 Days of Brownies, Blondies, and Bars. Even then, these red velvet pistachio ice cream bread bars were a bit of a Hail Mary.
You see, I had been baking for two weeks straight. My third failed batch of the same recipe was fresh out of the oven, and I was ready to throw in the towel.
But surrender just isn’t in my nature. Instead of trying yet again to fix that other recipe, I took the best part of it and moved on.
What was working was the red velvet Oreo crust I was working with. The perfect balance of Oreos and butter results in a base that is crunchy and sweet. And the cream cheese filling from the red velvet Oreos adds a tang that is just irresistible.
It was the top layer that needed to be completely re-thought.
That’s when ice cream bread popped back in my mind. I don’t know why. I don’t know how. But I knew it needed to be tried. Leftover pistachios from the cranberry curd bars inspired the flavor for the topping.
The results were perfect and delicious. That Hail Mary turned into a touchdown.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Red Velvet and Pistachios just got so much better. ? #food #sweets via @PlayDatesParty” quote=”Red Velvet and Pistachios just got so much better. ? #food #sweets”]
The ice cream bread layer is moist and airy with a light pistachio flavor. Every once in a while, you get a little extra punch of pistachio, which is just heavenly.
That red velvet Oreo crust is the perfect compliment for the pistachio bread. It is solid enough to support the soft bread and adds a bit of sweetness and crunch. Chopped pistachios add even more crunch and festive pops of green.
You need to make these this year. And when your guests ask for the recipe, you can ask them: “Have you ever heard of ice cream bread?”
Red Velvet Pistachio Ice Cream Bread Bars
- 25 red velvet Oreos
- 5 T unsalted butter melted
- 1 pint pistachio ice cream melted
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/3 cup whole roasted pistachios roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Process Oreos in a food processor until no large chunks remain. Add in melted butter and pulse until just combined.
- Press Oreos into a 13 x 9 cake pan, making sure to get the crust as even as possible.
- Bake the crust at 350 F for 8 minutes. Cool completely.
- While the crust is cooling, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add melted ice cream & mix thoroughly by hand. Spread over the prepared crust. Sprinkle chopped pistachios on top
- Bake at 350 F for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the top just barely springs back when touched in the center.