These soft and chewy ginger cookies are full of all the best holiday spices. Make an extra large batch to share with friends and family.
Something about Christmastime requires gingerbread.
Just like pumpkin at Halloween and Turkey at Thanksgiving. Gingerbread is a Christmas classic.
And while I would love to make some beautiful, rolled gingerbread cookies or gingerbread men for the kids to decorate, time can often get the better of me.
That’s when this recipe comes to the rescue. It’s got all the delicious flavors of gingerbread but is much simpler to pull together.
I love how these gingerbread cookies come out soft and chewy, though there are variations of this same recipe if you prefer gingersnaps.
The grand marnier helps to keep the cookies soft, and the orange flavor of the liquor helps to bring out the taste of the spices. You can even add a touch of cayenne if you prefer your ginger cookies to have a bit of a kick.
Just be sure to hide a few because you might not get any!
- 1 1/4 C. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 C. cake flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 T grand marnier
- 1/4 C. molasses
- Granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the grand marnier and molasses. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture in increments.
- Use a cookie scoop to shape dough into even shaped balls, and roll them in the remaining sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack or cool plate.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
What is your favorite chewy cookie?
Do you prefer chewy ginger cookies or gingersnaps?