I like to make creative recipes for our celebrations. Of course, we have our favorite go-to party recipes, but sometimes an event calls for a fun little twist. The challenge is finding a way to balance creative baking and convenience.
Of course, regular readers know that I love desserts that are both delicious and fast. That’s how I ended up with recipes like Ridiculously Easy Cinnamon Spice Blondies, Sparkly Mermaid Munch, Christmas Crack, and even the Cheater’s Cookie Platter.
So, it’s no surprise that when our craft beer-loving family members came to visit over the holidays, I wanted to make a little treat that incorporated their favorite beverage. And so, beer brownies with a pretzel crust were born.
To say they were a hit would be an understatement. There is only a small amount of beer in the batter, adding just a subtle, malty flavor to the brownies. But the real surprise was with the effect of the beer on the pretzel topping.
You see, to make these brownies, I simply replaced the water required by a boxed brownie mix with a porter. And since all beer has sugar in it, that increased the sugar content of the brownie batter. As the brownies cooked, the portion of the batter that had contact with the pretzels caramelized.
Ironically, I was thisclose to adding caramel to the brownies when originally planning the recipe. In the end, I decided against it in the spirit of simplicity. And I’m so glad I did. The brownies actually tasted like they had a layer of caramel in them already!
I made the brownies in a mini muffin tin to make bite-sized beer brownies, which would be perfect for your next football or Super Bowl party. But, feel free to make them in a 13 x 9 pan instead.
These beer brownies with a pretzel crust were so simple and so surprisingly good, I can’t wait to experiment with them some more. Maybe I’ll even make them for our non-beer loving family members!#Beer and pretzels are a perfect pair...even more perfect with chocolate! #recipe #yum Click To Tweet
Beer Brownies with a Pretzel Crust
- 2 C mini pretzels
- 1 18.4-oz Box Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix (I Used Pillsbury brand for a 13 x 9 pan)
- 2/3 C oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C beer (porter or stout recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9×13 pan with parchment paper, or lightly oil a mini muffin tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place 2 cups of mini pretzels in a gallon sized ziplock bag. Using a rolling pin, lightly crush the pretzels into medium-sized chunks.
- Combine brownie mix, oil, beer, and eggs in a bowl. Stir until just combined.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with crushed pretzels.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the pan, approximately 15 to 20 minutes for mini muffins, and 25 to 30 minutes for a 13 x 9 pan.
- Let cool completely before cutting. (Get more tips on making the best brownies)
What’s your favorite beer-based sweet treat?
Don’t forget to check out these awesome posts: