Homemade hot cocoa is one of the best gifts you can give during the winter months. Not only is it affordable and easy to make, but it also brings a touch of warmth and comfort to any home. This year, skip the store-bought hot cocoa packet and create your own unique hot chocolate gift sets using our free printable tags.
These cute little bags make holiday party favors, teacher gifts, classmate gifts , hostess gifts, or just a little something to treat a friend.
What makes these so fun:
- This isn’t just a cocoa packet in a bag. The combination of all the ingredients together creates an sinfully decadent mug of hot cocoa.
- The free printable tag (available at the end of this post) is simple enough it can be used for any occasion.
- It makes a single serving as a gift, so the recipient doesn’t have to fuss with measuring ingredients or storing extra cocoa mix.
- Hot cocoa gifts aren’t just for the holidays! Use the suggested adaptations below to make fun birthday party favors, give a set to your favorite teacher as a gift, hand out a packs to your child’s classmates, as bridal shower and wedding favors, and so much more.
A Few Notes about the supplies:
Powdered Milk doesn’t just add to the pretty layers in the bag. It will result in an extra creamy mug of hot chocolate, so all your recipient needs is hot water.
Clear cellphone gift bags are cost effective for a crowd and show off all the pretty layers and colorful sprinkles inside. (You can also use a 4-oz mason jar)
A combination of white and semi sweet chocolate chips makes this hot cocoa gift even more decadent.
Homemade birthday cake marshmallows take a bit of time, but they’re 100% worth the effort.
To make things easy for you, I’ve got a step-by-step tutorial with photos at the bottom of this post. Don’t forget to leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and print out your copy of the instructions!
More Hot Cocoa Flavor Combinations to Try:
The flavor combinations are nearly endless for birthday parties or holidays! Here are some fun ideas:
Chocolate Lovers Hot Cocoa:
- Dark chocolate chips,
- dark chocolate hot cocoa, and
- chocolate marshmallows.
Peanut butter hot chocolate:
- Peanut butter chips, and
- broken up peanut butter cups or homemade peanut butter balls.
Toffee hot chocolate:
- Caramel hot cocoa mix,
- Heath toffee chips,
- Hershey’s sea salt caramel chips, and
- Dulce de leche marshmallows.
Holiday Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- White chocolate chips or snowcaps,
- Broken candy cane bits,
- Eggnog marshmallows, and
- Candy cane tucked in with the spoon
Butterbeer hot chocolate:
- White hot chocolate,
- Butterscotch chips,
- Caramel baking bits, and
- Salted caramel marshmallows.
Unicorn hot chocolate:
- White hot chocolate mix,
- White chocolate chips,
- Rainbow and sparkling sugar sprinkles, and
- Birthday Cake marshmallows
Halloween hot chocolate:
- Your choice of Hot Chocolate Mix
- Candy corn and candy pumpkins,
- Green, orange and purple sprinkles, and
- Fun Halloween marshmallows.
…I could keep going, but I think you get the point.
Make ahead party favors
This is such a fun way to make party favors, and the best thing is that you can make them ahead of time.
Make these favors up to two weeks in advance. (I wouldn’t make them any earlier than that if you’re using fresh homemade marshmallows.)
How to Display Your Hot Cocoa Favors
How you choose to display your favors depends mostly on how many you are making, but here are a few ideas:
- Line the baggies up on a table or tray,
- Put the bags in a large basket,
- Make a tall display using a tiered tray,
- Tuck a bag of mix into a personalized mug and add the spoon and tag to the handle.
Free Printable Hot Cocoa Gift Tags
To make your hot chocolate gifts even cuter, I’ve got three different printable tags you can tie on to your packages: Happiness is Hot Cocoa, Pastel Rainbow Tags, and Thanks a Chico-lot teacher gift tags:
Subscribers can get a copy of the black and white Happiness is Hot Cocoa gift tags completely free. Simply add your name and email to the form at the end of this post and I’ll send it right over to you.
If you liked these hot cocoa party favors, you’ll also love these lumps of coal treats. They’re a fun no-bake treat that is especially cute as a sweet treat from the family elf at holiday time.
Or you can check out all my desserts recipes right here.
- Printable gift tags
- White card stock
- Cellophane gift bags with twist ties
- 1/3 cup dry powdered milk
- 2 Tablespoons Bulk Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 Tablespoon sprinkles
- 1/8 cup chocolate chips (we used both white and semisweet chocolate chips)
- 3-4 Large marshmallows
- Ribbon or baking twine
- Chocolate covered spoons or other decorations
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Print out the gift tags on white card stock and cut out along the edges of the design. Set aside.
- Open up a cellophane bag and fold the edge over.
- Pour 1/3 cup dry powdered milk into the cellophane bag.
- Add 2 tablespoons hot cocoa mix on top of the powdered milk. Try not to let the hot cocoa mix blend in with the powdered milk.
- Pour 1 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles on top of the hot cocoa mix.
- Add a handful of chocolate chips on top of the sprinkles.
- Add 3-4 marshmallows on top of the sprinkles.
- Use a twist tie to seal off the bag, then add your printable label and accessories like chocolate dipped spoons or candy canes.