Another birthday came and went for me last week. And now I’m 36 years old.
For a little while longer I can claim my mid-thirties, but those years are quickly coming to a close and then it will be heading toward 40. It’s not that I dread 40, but it feels like I should have accomplished something momentous by that age. I guess I have 4 more years to do that.
I don’t want to make you think that I’m glum about my birthday. I’m not. I realize that there are many many reasons to be joyful. And while the movies may make you believe that doing something big with your life is what will may you joyful, I find it more in the small moments: a new flower bud, the warmth of the sunshine on your face, the gorgeous days immediately following a hurricane. Over the last two weeks, I’ve taken
Over the last two weeks, I’ve taken the time to keep track of the little moments every day that make life at 36 filled with joy and happiness.
36 Reasons to Be Joyful Today
- Multicolored birthday roses from my girls
- The warmth of the sunshine on my face
- Splashing in puddles like a kid.
- Facetime chats with my parents, sister and her kids.
- My parents, who are incredible role models of working hard, playing hard and helping others as much as possible
- T’s love of reading. It’s not uncommon these days for her to disappear for an hour or two with a book in her room.
- The Husband’s recent insistence on doing dishes after bedtime.
- Baby/kid giggles – E is developing those glorious baby giggles, and L hasn’t entirely lost the toddler giggles yet.
- The girls’ desire to help in the kitchen
- T’s willingness to try new foods (mussels, whole fish, sushi), and how it’s rubbing off on her sister.
- Spending long afternoons outside with the kids & the Husband
- The way the baby smiles at me when he wakes up.
- Spring blossoms in our garden
- How the girls love to cuddle with us in the morning
- Singing at the top of my lungs in the car with the girls
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Every time the Husband tells me he loves me.
- Spray paint
- Being able to pay attention during Mass (when it happens)
- Family vacations at the beach
- Foot rubs
- Those few minutes when the house is perfectly clean
- Figuring out a complex problem/solving a puzzle
- My “Happy Music” playlist, including these songs:
- Foot rubs
- Sleeping in
- Finding the perfect gift to give someone
- Mint Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream (when I can find it)
- New haircuts
- I have managed to keep 3 houseplants alive over the last 6 months. Who cares if they are plants that are considered nearly indestructible (snake plant, pothos, and Christmas cactus)
- Being there as T finished reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone for the first time.
- Baby fauxhawks
- Those special times when the kids are getting along really well and playing together.
- Aside from teething, allergies, and the random virus, our family is healthy and happy. We’re lucky enough to not have any serious needs.
I am blessed indeed.
What is making you joyful today?
I need more happy music! Share your favorite music video on my Facebook page!