Happy Valentine’s Day! We spent Thursday snowed in, and then it started snowing all over again as the kids were getting put to bed. What’s with this crazy weather?
I actually wasn’t planning a post for today, but a couple days ago I saw Tamera co-hosting this month’s Old School Blogging meme, and it looked like so much fun I just had to participate!
1. How do you typically celebrate Valentine’s Day?Normally all Valentine’s activities are focused on the kids…either making Valentine’s cards or goodies for the school. I usually intend to give a card to the Husband…but forget. So we’re pretty lame. But who says that Valentine’s Day actually has to be celebrated on the 14th?
2. Do you like to get A) chocolates B) flowers C) a sweet card or D) ALL OF THE ABOVE?While I enjoy chocolate, and the Husband is really good at writing a sweet card, I think flowers are my favorite. They remind me of Spring, which is when our garden starts to bloom and we keep fresh flowers on the table. And after all the snow we’ve had this winter, I’m definitely ready for my Spring flowers!
3. Would you consider yourself a “cuddler”? If not, would you at least cuddle on Valentine’s Day?We’re definitely bedtime cuddlers. But only for a few minutes before we each roll over to our side. It’s nice to spend a few close moments together, but neither of us could stand it for the whole night.
4. What is your favorite movie about love or with a love story?This is a hard one! I don’t have an absolute favorite, but definitely fall back on movies like “When Harry Met Sally”…even if only for the old couples and this one scene:
5. Do you believe in “love at first sight”? Did it happen to you?Our story may seem like a “love at first sight” story…but I wouldn’t really call it that. I don’t think that you can really call it love at that point. Interest? Lust? Excitement? All of those could apply, but real love takes longer. It takes time, understanding and commitment.
6. Do you believe love can conquer all things?All things? Probably not. But I do believe that love built on the proper foundation can withstand many obstacles. It takes a rock solid foundation, a lot of trust, and real commitment from both people to make it through the toughest of obstacles.
7. What is ONE of the main things you love about your S.O.(significant other)Hands down, I love the Husband’s sense of humor. He’s sarcastic, he makes stupid puns and he leaves me in stitches. Through all the stress in life, I know that I can rely on him to calm me down with a few giggles.
8. If you could have the perfect Valentine date what would you and your loved one do?Simple, we’d have a whole day to ourselves. Sleep in late. Go get an amazing brunch and taste fine wine and champagne. Then we’d end the day scooping up the kids and getting some night time snuggles with them.
9. Tell me about your first crush!I started young, with a crush in first grade. I don’t remember much about him other than being fascinated with his amazing, almond-shaped eyes.
10. Do you have any embarrassing or horror dating stories?My father would say that my first boyfriend was a horror story from beginning to end. Let’s just say I was going through a bit of a rebellious phase and he was not what any father wants for their daughter.
11. Favorite flower?This one’s easy. Peonies, hydrangeas and light pink roses. They’re so short lived, but so beautiful.
12. What’s the first type of chocolate you hope for when you reach into a box of chocolatesCaramel or creme. I don’t really like plain chocolate and prefer a filling to help cut the flavor.
13. Favorite love song?As usual, I don’t have an actual favorite. But for sentimental purposes I always get wistful at “Groovy Kind of Love” (Phil Collins version) and “She’s Got a Way” (Bill Joel).
14. What is the best breakup song?Carrie Underwood, “Before He Cheats”. Girl power, all the way!
15. Favorite celebrity couple?The last time I cared about celebrity couples I was all about Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston (see how I’m dating myself?) But for staying power, I have to give my respect to Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. Most high profile couples don’t seem to make it, and they seem to have a pretty grounded relationship. Hopefully I don’t eat these words in ten years.
16. Overall, are you pro- or anti- Valentine’s Day?I’d say I’m Valentine’s Day ambivalent. It’s nice to take a moment to appreciate your loved ones, but don’t feel like a big production is necessary.
17. If someone did that “Say Anything” boombox thing outside your window, would you be into it, or call the police?Fifteen year old me would have thought it was the most romantic thing ever. Now, I’d either call the police or laugh and ask the husband how much he’s had to drink..
18. First thing you notice about the objects of your affection.I love seeing my kids and husband smile. Actually I love seeing all their different smiles.
19. What’s the best thing you’ve ever gotten for Valentine’s Day?Honestly, I can’t ever remember most of my Valentine’s Day gifts. Just having the Husband and the kids in my life is enough worth celebrating! (I know…so cheesy…but so true!)