I’ve been pretty open on this blog about the Husband and how I feel lucky to have found him. But that doesn’t mean that our relationship is perfect. This week’s prompt for 30 Things My Children Should Know About Me is all about describing my relationship with my spouse – so here are a few things that make our relationship so wonderful…and so real:
What Makes Us Work:
1. We can be our true selves around each other. I read a long time ago that everybody has different parts of their personality: who they are at work, who they are with friends, and who they are when no one else is around. I am lucky enough to have found someone that accepts me as I am at my most comfortable. There’s no putting on airs, trying to change ourselves or each other.
2. Complete and Utter Honesty. We share everything. If we’re frustrated, we talk about it. We may not come to an agreement, but we get it out there and clear the air. We even share things with each other that don’t necessarily need to be shared…just because.
3. We are each other’s best friend. I’d rather spend a night with my husband than anyone else; even if that just means hanging out on the sofa enjoying a bottle of wine.
What We need to Improve:
1. We’re both pig-headed sometimes. Like every couple, we fight. And sometimes those fights get a bit ugly. It’s no surprise that T is so stubborn, because she gets it honestly from both of us.
2. We don’t always take time for each other. Between work, taking care of the kids and taking care of the house, it’s not uncommon for us to spend the end of the day on our computers in front of the television. That’s not a great way to keep a marriage going. We need to spend more time focusing on each other every single day.
3. There are some differences we just haven’t resolved. We tend to argue about the same things over and over. Perhaps someday we’ll figure it out, but for now we just have to agree to disagree. (Clearly these aren’t deal breakers or this would be a completely different post!)
Somehow we lucked out in meeting each other almost exactly 11 years ago now. I never would have guessed that such random circumstances would have ended up with meeting my husband…and I can only hope that our girls will be as lucky as we are.