I could be wrong, but I’ve always considered green bean casserole to be a Southern thing. Even though I grew up in the South, my family hails from the Midwest. Most of our Thanksgivings were spent at my Aunt and Uncle’s house running around with their kids and savoring sips of Barq’s Red Cream Soda (something you just couldn’t get in Virginia). Believe it or not, I don’t remember the food. Thanksgiving was always about seeing my cousins and having special time with family that I didn’t get to see very often. As a result, I have no long-standing attachment to any single Thanksgiving dish except turkey.
The husband, however, is adamant that we have green bean casserole. Gooey, fried onion covered green bean casserole. This from the man who stood by my side at the grocery on Monday drooling over Wagyu and dry-aged beef cuts. The man who thinks nothing of spending hours in the kitchen on a Saturday or Sunday if it means a homemade gourmet meal. He wants green bean goop.
I don’t ever remember ever having this stuff as a child; and I don’t get the attraction. But he apparently doesn’t feel like Thanksgiving will be right without it. With that in mind, I’m hoping to sway him away from the slime with some tempting alternatives.Ditch the gloppy mess this #Thanksgiving w/7 Delicious Green Bean Casserole alternatives. #food… Click To Tweet
7 Delicious Green Bean Casserole Alternatives to Make this Thanksgiving
- Pecans are a Thanksgiving classic. Epicurious shares a Green Beans with Caramelized Pecans recipe that could bring out all the nostalgia.
- Williams Sonoma’s Green Bean Bundles with Bacon and Brown Sugar meets the decadence requirement without all the glop.
- Looking for something a bit more peppy? Try adding a bit of blue cheese. Zesty Green Beans Almandine from Napa Farmhouse 1885 is a great place to start.
- I love pomegranates, so Green Beans with Pomegranate Seeds and Walnuts (Eating with Purpose) sounds like heaven.
- Sometimes simple is best. Yard to Fork shares a recipe for Honey Balsamic Green Beans that looks simple and delicious.
- Avoid limp green beans and roast them instead with Caramelized Green Beans from Delicious by Dre.
- Or up the ante even more with Green Beans with Honey Pecan Butter and Cranberries from Real Housemoms
I’m pretty sure one of these recipes will convert my husband away from the gloppy casserole. What about you?
Do you love green bean casserole?
How do you prepare your green beans for Thanksgiving?
Get More Holiday Inspiration: